Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Up On the Roof

The Air Is Fresh and Sweet

Magdeburg is being smiled upon by the weather deities. We finally have spring! Today is gorgeous. Blue sky, gentle breeze, 65 degrees or so. Instead of going to the park, where my fresh air would be ruined by ubiquitous cigarette smoke and bees and ants and all sorts of icky crawling things, I am sunbathing on the roof of our building.

It's a very nice roof, full of character. It's L shaped and sloped, which gives me a woozy feeling whenever I stand up. There are nine old chimney stacks (or some sort of stacks) and one satellite receiver. The roof itself is not a uniform black; the vertical portion of the L is a rough grey with black tarring, whereas the foot is more charcole-colored. We have a nice view of the Magdeburger Dom and various church spires, the railway tracks, and a bit of the Hundertwasserhaus. I like this roof and am proud to call it mine. Our wlan is also strong enough to get up here, which is wonderful.


Row Row Row Your Boat

Since Jeanne has begged me to let go of any aspirations I may have had of playing rugby, I need to find something else to occupy me at Mount Holyoke. She mentioned that crew, riding, and lacrosse do not require one to have played in high school. I like animals and did a brief stint of summer camp riding, but I have a feeling I'd be pretty lousy on an equestrian team. Lacrosse could be neat, but I am worried about that which NO incoming college student worries about: losing weight! Lacrosse involves a lot of running, and while that's super for cardio and all, I have heard that running is good for weight loss. Admittedly I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it seems logical, and I really don't want to lose any weight. Just the opposite.

Now as to crew, I don't look at myself in the mirror and see "rower" written all over me. I'm small and elbowy and not very strong (which can change, of course, but the small and elbowy is there to stay, I think). Then I think to meself, "Self, there is one person who sits in the boat and doesn't need to be big and unelbowy! The cox!" And I'd be terrific at yelling at people at 5am. :-P But seriously, I've been getting up earlier recently and really enjoying it, so that wouldn't be an issue.

It's a strange feeling though, thinking about being a cox. My aunt coaches crew and I know next to nothing about the sport. I do know, however, that the cox is responsible for controlling the boat and rowers; it is not just motivation -- it is also the technical aspects. Why should anyone put that trust in me? It seems a mighty lot to think I could learn enough about it in time for practices, let alone a race.

And if this is me thinking about Division III Junior Varsity Crew, imagine how I feel about possibly becoming a doctor. At least that's not for a long time, if it is to happen at all.


Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I am very happy that my parents are coming in a few weeks. I love them very very much.

I will also be doing something that, at the beginning of this year, I never would have thought possible: missing the school and co-workers and kids. The year isn't even over yet, but what with MHC excitement, parents visiting, and sommer coming, it is certainly winding down. Just under four months left.

No comments: